Sanity Tips for Families + Businesses During COVID-19
Reflecting on recent events and how the COVID-19 situation is evolving, we see the importance of taking this newly granted time to evolve our business and ourselves.
As small business owners and employees, we’re constantly re-evaluating our strategy and service offerings. In a time of many unknowns, we’re choosing to see the positives of the situation: The opportunity to think creatively, share new ideas, evaluate how we work and how we can serve others differently. It’s a time to come together with our team on a deeper level and reassure our partners of the many ways we’ll continue support their business needs in an evolving world.
Amidst these changes, we encourage you to take time to…
- Think differently and be creative. We will not let this define who or what we are. Communicate with your team about how you can evolve and still be effective for your clients.
- Be open and transparent. Bring your team together and talk openly about changes that might need to take place for your organization and the way you work. Your employees will find comfort in having their questions and concerns answered.
- Authentically connect. Build deeper connections and partnerships by investing in the “human element” of your relationships. Be authentic. Be honest. Be more than a business…be a person.
- Be vulnerable. We’re all going through this together. Take time to support one another, show your heart and never be afraid to ask for help
- Be strong. We are stronger together and we will persevere. Chose to have the confidence that this will pass and we emerge better on the other side.
- Don’t give up on growth. This will pass, so don’t wait to plan for when things turn around. Be prepared for the switch getting turned back on.
- Hit pause and reconnect with your family. Family is a crucial constant in our lives. It’s there whether businesses succeed or not. Try not to let outside forces distract you from maintaining the valuable bonds with your family. They can be the touchstone that helps you ride out the storm.
With schools currently closed, that adds a particularly challenging element to our lives (whether you’re a parent or a child). The Grey team has young families and we needed to create some structure for our kids to keep them sane. (Let’s be real…it’s for us, too.) To help you help your family, we’re sharing an in-home, keeping-the-kids-busy agenda! You can also download a copy. Follow our examples or add your own. It will help provide structure at a time when it’s hard to come by.
9 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Quiet reading time (Alone, or for siblings to read to one another)
9:30 a.m. – 10 a.m.
Math or tracing time. (Math for the more experienced; Tracing letters and numbers for the less experienced)
10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Arts & Crafts. Pick out out a project; Create/Color/Write/Draw!
11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Outdoor or indoor free play
12 p.m. – 1 p.m.
Lunchtime; Finish any projects undone from earlier in the day
1 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Research something new (e.g. Learn about an animal, a country, a bucket-list trip)
1:30 p.m – 2 p.m.
Journal about what you’ve learned; Help younger siblings write about their day
2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Listen to music while cleaning up/doing chores
3 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Free activity of your choice (e.g. Virtual museum tour, math, reading, writing/journaling, music, art & crafts)
Structure is not only important for our kids, but it gives us adults a framework for staying productive and positive.
The reality is, life and business will still go on—just differently. Let’s remember this time as a time when we made a difference, helped others out, stayed focused, and created a new way to deliver something even better!
Grey Search + Strategy believes that the greatest fit between candidates and companies is found by going beyond resumes and references. We explore that grey area for a more strategic approach on what impacts your hiring and recruiting efforts. If you’re ready for an expert recruiting partner with a better approach to delivering stronger candidates and better results, drop us a line today!